The Nameless Solider
By Annie Douglass Lima
This was one of the best little stories I have read this year. It was filled with danger and adventure, packed with character development and introspection, and sported a bit of humor and the sweetest romance. I was worried I would have a difficult time settling into the story world since this is technically Book Four, but the author assures her readers that each book is stand alone. And she spoke the truth. I also really appreciated a little note she added at the end of the novella, listing some of the lingering questions I had and reassuring me I could find answers in the other books.
What I liked:
- Tarvic. He was such a likeable and subtly flawed character. Watching his internal struggle as he battled his way back from a dark, painful place trying to regain his self-respect and honor…it was truly well done. I loved him, even at his darkest moments.
- The sisters. They were all so sweet and spunky. I would have liked to see a bit more character development for them, as they remain pretty even through the story, but they have their own struggles and fears which keeps them three dimensional and interesting. And did I mention spunky? They say some of the funniest things.
- The romance. The relationship that blossoms in this story is so sweet and delicately handled. There is just enough tension to keep you enthralled, but not so much as to drown out the beauty in their simple, but flourishing relationship. It warmed my heart and left me wishing for more.
What I didn’t like:
The only thing I wish the author had done differently as to have made this a full length novel. I admit there is not enough story here to make a full novel, but I enjoyed the characters so much I was sad to see them go.
If you enjoy sweet, clean fantasy worlds, you will enjoy The Nameless Soldier. There is no magic, but there is adventure, intrigue, and sweet, sweet romance. I rate this novella PG for Thematic elements, a few tastefully handled battle sequences, and light romance.
Click here to buy the ebook or paperback from Amazon. (The ebook is just $0.99 through June 6th!)
About the Author:
Annie Douglass Lima spent most of her childhood in Kenya and later graduated from Biola University in Southern California. She and her husband Floyd currently live in Taiwan, where she teaches fifth grade at Morrison Academy. She has been writing poetry, short stories, and novels since her childhood, and to date has published seventeen books (four YA action and adventure novels, five fantasies, a puppet script, six anthologies of her students’ poetry, and a Bible verse coloring and activity book). Besides writing, her hobbies include reading (especially fantasy and science fiction), scrapbooking, and international travel.
- Email: AnnieDouglassLima@gmail.com
- Blog: http://anniedouglasslima.blogspot.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AnnieDouglassLimaAuthor
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/princeofalasia
- Goodreads: http://bit.ly/ADLimaOnGoodreads
- Google+: http://bit.ly/ADLimaOnGooglePlus
- Amazon Author Page: http://bit.ly/AnnieDouglassLimaOnAmazon
- LinkedIn: http://bit.ly/ADLimaOnLinkedIn